This week on the show, we’ll be talking with Alex Sawyer. Alex is a tech director at a church and also runs The Production Pastor dot com – a great resource for you to gain some knowledge on church media – audio, lighting, video and more.
Alex and I will be chatting today about Tips for Video Directors. So if you have IMAG – Image Magnification at your church – which is technical lingo for Camera Shots on Screens – we’re talking today about the importance of Transitions, your lingo on your Comms, Framing and Composition, White Balance and more.
Get ready to dive into a quick masterclass on directing video at your church.
The Church Online Summit 2021
Lean into experienced practitioners experience to learn how to do church online effectively. Reach even more of your community online. Lead your virtual congregation and staff. And mobilize your church into action in your community. Bring your whole church team and learn the practical steps needed to grow your church and reach more people online.
1. Transitions How can we prepare for better transitions?
– Allowing people on stage to know what’s coming up next
– Rehearsing transitions ahead of time
2. Audio Levels It is important to pay attention to audio levels when it comes to video directing
3. Comms Lingo – Importance of good comms with your team – Communicate concisely
– Define terms for your team
4. Framing and Composition – Help teach your team the Rule of Thirds in a way your team can understand it
– Explain headroom, not too much, not too little
– Cut or Fade transitions?
5. White Balance and Color – Achieve and accurate white balance and match colors in your worship spaces
– Color needs to be balanced between shots so it feels natural as they are cut together
6. Movement and Motion – Start creating movement and motion in your shots
– Is there gear to help get more interesting shots?
7. How the Team Works Together – When should a camera operator get a shot, when should that come from the director?
– Help empower camera operators to get creative shots
– Make sure you are still covering all areas of the stage and worship experience
Want to stay connected with our our show host Carl and his special guests? You can find them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Check out what they are doing in their ministries, see what they are working on and drop them an encouraging post, tweet or like.
The new movie The Resurrection from Producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett will be streaming on Discovery+ starting March 27th. Carl sat down for an interview with Roma to talk about the film and its impact this Easter. You can watch the full interview below.
Maybe this episode sparked some questions or thoughts on the topic. Maybe you have some personal advice or experience you’d like to share with others. Head over to our Making Sunday Happen Facebook group to continue the conversation with other church techs, media professionals, industry leaders and more.
The Making Sunday Happen Podcast (Formerly The Church Media Podcast) is the definitive podcast for those who plan, create and execute Worship Experiences. Hosted by Carl Barnhill, the show offers training in the areas of Church Media Production, Worship, Communications, First Impressions, Service Planning, Volunteer Culture and more. Watch or listen to each episode of the show, download transcripts, and even grab some sharable content to share with your team.